How to Get Car Insurance While Visiting US on a Visa


Learn driving and parking rules that are effective in the United States. You can get this information from the Department of Motor Vehicles in any city.


Get an international driver's license from your country of residence. Without this you are not allowed to drive or get insurance in a country you visit. Carry this license with you, as you will need to show it before you can get coverage.


Go online and look for insurance companies who specialize in providing insurance coverage to foreigners. Progressive, Allstate, Geico and AIG are some of the top companies in auto insurance.


Contact the insurance companies and collect information about the kind of coverage you want.


Ask the insurance company if you are eligible for a comprehensive policy that covers most of the risks of driving a car.


Ask the insurance agent if your name can be added to the policy of a relative or friend who resides in the United States. This can be an easier way to get insurance and may be cheaper too.


Get insurance from the car rental agency if you rent a car. This may be the easiest and the best option. However, do not forget to compare rental and insurance rates of different agencies.

Tips and Warnings

  • Check to see if your credit card can provide you with auto insurance coverage.
  • You can add auto insurance coverage to a travel insurance policy obtained from your country of residence. Find out if the premium is cheaper than the options available in the US.
  • An international driver's license is only valid for up to one year. Apply for a learner's permit and a state driver's license if your visa period exceeds this duration. It takes a few weeks to get a driver's license in any state. Your insurance policy will terminate when your permit expires.
  • If you plan to rent a car, it may be a good idea to rent the car online. Usually the rental and insurance rates provided online are much cheaper.
  • Be sure to mention the type of visa you have to the insurance company. If you are on a temporary visa - 90 days to six months- then renting a car from an agency and buying insurance through them can be one of the options.